View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #51
secondcurve

Default Another Perspective

I copied the below article from the news feed that is on Winnipesaukee.com. I think it offers a good perspective on hunting. I wish folks like Paul could understand the perspective of the hunter. And more importantly, I wish this group could grasp the problems with wildlife overpopulation. The vast majority of us eat meat products in our daily lives but many refuse to embrace the sport of hunting and the vital function it provides to keep wildlife populations in check. Why is there such a disconnect?

Quote:
Recently, I was taken to task by a reader from York, who chastised me for not knowing what I was talking about.

She mentioned that the animal kingdom self-regulates itself, but didn't go into detail except for bears, and she stated, "When a population of bears becomes too large for their habitat and food supply, fewer cubs are born, thereby effectively slowing or stopping population growth."

I guess she didn't know that female bears usually only have one or two cubs anyway. Often, the male bear will kill all the cubs in order for the female to go into heat again, which otherwise only happens every two years.

She went on to say that animal populations self-regulate without interference from humans. That is called starvation and is not a pretty sight. The other alternative is wolves, coyotes and many other carnivores — meat eaters — that will take down the smallest deer, groundhogs, raccoons, squirrels, birds, mice, etc. Another fact — household cats are the favorite meal of coyotes.

She also stated that the land will only support a limited number of any species. I agree with that. But she went on to say that if this were not so, we would be overrun by raccoons, birds, mice, opossum, lynx, etc., which we do not hunt.

I guess she doesn't get out much or would see all the dead raccoons, squirrels, opossums, etc. scattered all over the highways. Actually, most populations out there in the wild are either controlled by their predators or by humans through hunting, or in this area by collisions with automobiles. You see, the deer aren't self-regulating; a male deer will impregnate as many does as he can, as will a rabbit and many other wild animals. These populations, as you inferred, will eventually eat themselves out of house and home.

This has happened locally, as the residents of Long Island on Lake Winnipesaukee wanted to eliminate hunting deer so they could enjoy these beautiful animals. A few years later, the deer had eaten all the wild shrubs and trees, and began invading the homeowners' property on the island to sample the flowers and shrubs of the residents.

Then the residents wanted the deer to be trucked off of the island. This can't happen, as the stress levels of the deer will kill them and, if some were actually dropped off in territory that is unfamiliar to them, they will die quickly as they don't know where to go for safety, to sleep or food. Another danger is possibly transporting a diseased deer from one area to another.

Now, I don't know where she lives in York, but I would think that she has woods nearby. If so, then you have coyotes roaming behind your house. Like wolves, when the rabbits, cats and other prey are no longer available, they will leave the area and not return until the population is large enough to hunt.

As far as bear hunting goes, I don't hunt bear, but I will stand side by side with any hunter, fishermen, hiker or camper to protect their rights to hunt. I also would stand by your side for your right to protest.

I was taught by my dad that you don't shoot anything that you won't eat. It's a lesson that I have followed to this day. By the way, I have been hunting, fishing, camping and hiking for over 60 years. I know how to start a campfire, how to find water and where to get wood for the fire. I have been writing about the outdoors, hunting and fishing, for over 40 years. Those are my credentials. I know what I'm talking about because I've lived it all.

The issue I wrote about was Stratham Hill Park. That is where hunting has been as safe as it gets for over 300 years. So why can't the walkers and hikers go somewhere else for 38 days? Why do hunters have to give up their sport and why does it have to be posted no hunting?

Since I have to see the opponents' point of view, why can't you see mine?

Furthermore, Maine — and all other states — have biologists that watch over these animals. If there was a danger of any population being endangered, they would immediately shut down that hunting season. We should let them do their jobs.

By the way, I was born in Portsmouth and moved to Kittery when my parents took me home. I am a lifelong resident of Maine, except for my time in the U.S. Army, protecting all people — hunters or not.

Wayne Hooper is a member of the New England Outdoor Writers Association and a lifelong Seacoast resident. He can be reached at sports@seacoastonline.com.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: