Thread: Mise en place
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
We can discuss what is "top notch" or whatever (I contend, like the dude in "Sour Grapes" revealed about the wine industry, that much of it is hype and fabricated elitism, but that's another discussion), but to criticize someone because their experience didn't meet the expectation is lame.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I think much of the discord or misunderstanding comes from people not discussing exactly what they mean by "top notch", and especially not using the "poofy" vs "not poofy" distinction you coined in another thread.

As a person who enjoys both poofy and non poofy places, I don't really think it's fair to judge poofy places by non poofy standards, and vice versa. We shouldn't be bashing poofy places for being refined, and we shouldn't be bashing non poofy places for being inauthentic.

Just staying on poofy standards--Mise en Place is terrific. One of the very best in the region, and it could also succeed in Boston. (But it will definitely have garnish in a spot on the plate that could be holding more steak!)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote