Thread: Boat Crash
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #30
Skip

Default RSA 270:1-a (I) reporting requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Remember a few years ago a couple in a kayak were run over between Shep's and Bear Is? Nobody actually injured, thew kayak was valued at less than $1000, so no report was required, although it was reported.

I owned both a 1967 and a 1977 CC Lancer at various times. Built like tanks. We know there were no injuries. I f damage was presumed less than $1000 (how do you know at night?) maybe there was no requirement to report? If there is no requirement to report (or reasonable thought) maybe there is no leaving the scene?
It is alleged the operator struck another boat before grounding. It is my understanding that RSA 270:1-a (I) in part requires the operator to give the damaged vessel owner/operator his/her information. In lieu of that the operator must immediately report the incident to the nearest NHMP officer, the NHMP itself, or the nearest police officer/police station. Authorities can/will then determine if the accident rose to the $2000 threshold that would then require a formal report with NHMP.

The operator should have simply called the local police department on his arrival home to report the incident, and thus be in compliance with this RSA, in my opinon. It will be interesting to see how this investigation unfolds....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote