View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #116
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
When I moved to California in the '70's, you could make a right turn on a red light. I had never seen this before. CA was the only state allowing this then, I think.

I brought the idea "home" (New Hampshire & Massachusetts) and people were extraordinarily critical of such a thing. They envisioned all sorts of calamity. A red light meant "STOP". Don't complicate things.

When I drove cross-country in April, I made right turns at red lights in every state I went through and never thought twice as to whether it was legal or not. It appears to be generally accepted and allowed now everywhere, I assume.

Not sure how this pertains to the subject of the thread...I guess, although I think evolution is a slow "change" process, getting accustomed to those "hawk" signals is not going to take hold nationwide...Maybe not even locally. Sometimes bad ideas die right where they were born.
Right turn on Red is allowed in all 50 States. I believe Massachusetts was the last state to allow this back sometime in the 1980's.

Additionally (and unknown to most Mass drivers) you can take a left turn on a red light when you have two intersecting one way streets.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote