View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squam Friend View Post
From the union leader article today:

"Speed-limit supporters had argued two years would be plenty of time for a test. They said people are afraid to canoe or swim, especially on weekends when boat traffic is most congested. "

Not to put too much weight in the words of the Union Leader, but this is a great example of the gap in logic between people's concerns about safety and the proposed solution. Congestion? Sounds like better enforcement of the 150' rule would be a good place to start here...
The "Gap" is quite huge. Enforcement makes sense, yet was never debated at length. Quite revealing for those that were so afraid that their 150' space was violated. Clever statements were made that if the boats had been going slower, their space would not be violated.

Don't count on it, I see it day in and day out, boaters in boats of all kinds cutting people off, going to close, failing to stay to the right, or even turning left into another boater's path. If every single GFBL boat on this lake vanished overnight, I'd still be facing 100% of the problems I have today.

Perhaps now that this law is in place, those at Winfabbs and and their supporters can devote their considerable time and resources to doing something more useful.