View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #29
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
OK, here's the end story on my Subaru Outback and tire issue......

Measured tread depth of all good tires, and was about 7/32" tread left.
New tire tread depth 10-11/32 depending on size of tire 225x60x17.

That said, it's really over the recommened limit to match a 1 new tire with rest of good tires, or even buy 2 new matched pair.

Unfortnaltely, I don't have the time to find a used tire on Ebay or Craigslist with same life tread depth, so bit the bullet and bought 4 new tires.

After doing some research I bought 4 new General Altimax RT43 from Town Fair Tires. The tires are very quite on the highway, and run very smooth.
Of course they're brand new, we'll see how they are after about 10-15k of wear.

Thanks again for eveyone's feedback, it's been a really learning experience with my fisrt AWD vehicle.

On that note, I'll be trading my other car and buying a late model SUV.
Need a 6 cyl, Four Wheell Drive, decent gas milage, with light towing capacity (2500l-3000 lbs).

Looking at Honda Pilot, GMC Eonvoy, Chevy Traverse, Toyota Highlander

Any suggestions that are not AWD vehicle
I had to replace the tires on the wife's Lexus RX300, AWD, I went with the same tires, General Altimax RT43 which sport a very respectable UTQG rating and very good temp and traction ratings. So far they have been excellent.

Keep in mind as you consider a tow vehicle that all the ones you have listed are not trucks so keep that in mind. What I mean by that is they are all using a car drive train wrapped in a truck like body. This helps them achieve decent gas mileage with the look and feel of something they really aren't... a truck.

If you do get one make sure it has a tow package with beefed up anti sway bars, heavier duty rear suspension and transmission cooler. Just cause you can bolt on a receiver to the back doesn't make it good to tow with! Whatever you choose I would error on the side of caution and not exceed half of whatever they are rated for. Furthermore do your due diligence and find out what maintenance is required if they are used for towing. Usually they require more frequent fluid changes in the transmission and differentials.

Me being a Toyota snob and ex-technician, I'd say the Highlander is worth a look. They are typical Toyota, boring, but extremely reliable. FYI the Highlander is AWD if you opt for "4WD".
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: