View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default WOW Trail

I thought the same thing about Mr. Mailloux. It reminded me of when we lived in RI, and people who bought cheap houses near TF Green would complain about airline traffic over their homes.

Full disclosure, I live in Long Bay and am against the WOW trail for many reasons. However, I am most against the City of Laconia investing in it. I don't have my numbers down, but I remember the City promising that the Colonial Theater would only cost the taxpayers $2-$3 Million Dollars, and now I read that the cost will exceed $17 Million Dollars. Who's going to pay for it?! The taxpayers! I feel hoodwinked. At least the $50,000 study is coming from the WOW Trail proponents, not the taxpayers.

The City also lied to us about maintenance costs associated with Phase I and Phase II of the WOW Trail. We were told that the City would not pay for maintenance, but now it is a line item in the City's budget.

The reason why WOW Trail proponents want to rip up the track is because this approach will lower the cost of Phase III. There are significant construction challenges in spots where there is a strip of land with water on both sides of the track. It would be easier to rip up the track and put the trail there.

I hope the study honestly assesses the cost of constructing the trail and the economic impact. I doubt it will. Also, the City should reevaluate it's growth approach. It is clear the city intends to grow by greenlighting Section 8 housing. This approach seems inconsistent with spending large sums of money on a theater and a trail.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote