View Single Post
Old 07-09-2008, 04:52 PM   #69
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP View Post
The only thing I realize is you have an agenda, you are entitiled to have an agenda and I am glad you only get 1 vote. I to only get 1 vote, I have no agenda, I don't like stupid , needless laws. Nothing you say or do will ever convince me that a speed limit law will do anything to change the lake, it won't even help your agenda of returning the lake to the days of yesteryear, it just won't happen. Nothing I say will change your agenda, stalemate. However, as the population grows so will the number of people on the lake and my bets are that enforcing the laws already on the books will produce more safety results than this new law that isn't on the books till 1/1/09.

As for the kids camps, if I were responsible for the lives and safety of those kids I would find things to do on the weekends that don't involve venturing out onto the lake and save those events for Monday-Thursday or even Friday AM. Don't most camp cycles run Sunday - Saturday anyway? So basically between kids coming and going on those 2 weekend days it makes sense to keep them close at hand anyway. It's not rocket surgery, and the kids will never feel like they are missing anything if the events are scheduled consistently on weekdays. There's more to camping than just the lake, and they should have events to keep them occupied as such.

The Boston Globe article? I could care less, the media can't be trusted anyway so citing articles in rags I could care less about mean nothing to me.
The situation with camps is not a "stalemate" as you suggest. The speed limit bill is law. That is more link "checkmate".

As a former camp director I can tell you it doesn't work the way you assume. The camps on our island have two week terms, however many children stay for multiple terms or the entire summer. There are already many days in which small sailboats can't go out. Days that are calm or very windy or raining are already out. Plus days when thunderstorms are in the area. Now you want to add three or fours days a week because the lake is out of control on weekends? I don't think so!

However none of this is to the point. If a lake is so crowded with "thrill-seeker" that it is not safe for children in a small boat then something has to change. And that change is the thrill-seekers have to go. If you think lake camps with a total of thousands of children should keep those children on shore because you want to go faster than 45 mph, then you are correct, we will never agree on speed limits.