Thread: Lake Markers
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #34
kchace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Okay -- sorry for the delayed response......but we just got back from the Lake and our "season opening" five days boating.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one seriously confused by the FL30 area when I first started out (yearrrrrrs ago)

(kchace) there are no "companions" to black or red "Tops" ..... what you (I think) are referring to as FL30's "companion" is actually the aspect that makes that area confusing. Notably a black & red top pair just to the north-ish of the lite. This is one of the rare areas that "depending on your approach" you actualy split a pair of black tops --- which scares the hell outta ya the first few time you do it -- MAP or not!!
Actually, since flashers usually have companion buoys, I was referring to the companion buoy of FL30 which is black-topped. Its close enough to the black-topped buoy just off the southern tip of Bear that it's scary the first time or two through there. I think those two black-topped buoys are barely further apart than 2 of the 3 that are off the north side of Eagle that you best not be passing through.

Just another endearing Lake Winnipesaukee idiosyncrasy.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote