View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #46
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I wonder...if there is a good water supply near the surface (as this dug well implies) would a drilled well need to go down very far to get to water? If all those well drillers are looking for is a water source, couldn't they find it fairly near the surface?

This is probably a geology question, huh?
Apples and oranges.

Surface water is completely different source than water found in artesian/drilled well. I am not a geologist so some professionals can chime in on this one.

My last fixed price well - the well driller went down about 1,000 feet.

Surface water. In the Spring parts of my yard are wet with water as water table is high in Spring. But it does dry as seaon progresses.

Dug wells are fine and people have had them for decades at some homes. But some, if not tightly sealed do get an occaisional animal in that will drown. And if an exceptionally dry Summer some run low on water. Dug wells are much much less expensive. And on the plus side of dug wells many conserve water much more.

On another note. Years ago. There was a person selling his home in Lakes Region. This nice home had an artesian/drilled well. But it had gone dry. So what the seller did was hire a water tanker to come and fill up the well. So showing the home, the all faucets worked fine. After sale and when people moved in the well went dry again. Then the lawsuits began. The new owner did eventually win. But it was long and drawn out. This story was in all the local papers a few/many years ago. Buyer Beware.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote