View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyon View Post
Hi Cate,
Dug wells can be just fine. Some may run dry or become contaminated due to woodland run off. I have had water analysis come back with coliform bac. present which can be treated inexpensively. The well would be "shocked" and possibly the well tile cleaned. As others have said a dug well can be just fine.
The cost of a drilled well will vary between 6-10K. Some well drilling companies will drill a contract price vs. a by the foot price which is a gamble but can work in your favor if the drilling is not too deep. Usually a drilled well will be between 200 and 600+ deep with the pump usually placed 10-20 feet off the bottom.
If you would like additional info send me an email and I can help you out.
The Shemung area is very nice and private but close to town and the highway which is nice.
There was alot of farm land out there many years ago so you may choose to do an expanded test of Bac/ecoli, arsenic, manganese, nitrate and nitrite.
hope this helps!
This is really helpful!! We would have all the tests done as recommended by our really fabulous house inspector (wink, wink).

Do you think it makes any difference if the well is said to be "spring fed" or are most dug wells spring fed? Springs can run dry too, no?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote