View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #70
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Way back in the 70's, when my parents bought their vaca home at the lake, their realtor, who was also a family friend, told them that 2nd homes are mainly put up for sale because either the owners are old and can't afford it or keep it up anymore, or the kids don't want it, (or they can't afford it), or there's a life-changing event, like a divorce, major illness, spouse death, etc. So it's really no different right now, with the exception of the sudden huge spike in prices that is maybe motivating some folks to sell to take the money and run. I also believe that the majority of 2nd home owners have always been out-of-staters, so again, I don't think there is anything new going on.

Mr Think:

To your point of where to go in retirement, we are having that same discussion in our house. We envision being at the lake 1/2 the year and "somewhere more south" the other part of the year, but we don't know where. Neither of us like FL...we have some friends in SC who absolutely love it, but we've never been there. I guess the thing to do is pick a few places and do some long weekends or a week or two there to get a feel for the areas. Then we'll be the out-of-staters that the locals will hate...HA[emoji23]
This appears to be something many here are familiar, or are dealing, with, so I'll start a new thread!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote