View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #67
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thelakewego View Post
Hello. My husband and I would very much like to retire to Moultonborough in the near future. We are in our mid-60s. We are staying with friends in town and they love it and we want to be close to them and like the low tax rate.

I have been reading a lot about Moultonborough for the past year and following this Community Center issue here and also through our family. I have read posts and letters about both Article projects. From what I have read, and heard about the larger project ($6.7M) besides it costing more, (it is a larger building), I am unclear why people object to it. The smaller project seems to be just a new function hall.

Our friends brought home a booklet from town meeting about Article 6 with an FAQ document with links to other documents. There was a link to a study of the building site so I looked at it. To me, from reading the study, it looks like that property was okayed by an engineer to build on. And it looks like now there is already a road to access it.

The FAQs also mention that traffic was looked at on the DOT website and the number of cars are not different than the cars down closer to the roads that lead to the other building.

I exercise regularly at home now and would think for people of our age and older, having somewhere indoors to walk and take classes (if they are offered) during the day would be a good thing, especially in the long winters. In the booklet there was an article from the Conway Daily Sun about how important senior recreation is. Personally I agree, and I would like to see my husband exercise more.

Also, I was told that the person who talked about Article 6 at Town Meeting said that the cruise company on Rte 25 had pledged $15,000 and the water bottling company in town had pledged $10,000 to the project and a local furniture store had said they would discount furniture for the project. That sounds good.

The tax part seemed low, which I believe someone mentioned here on this discussion is $.14/$1000 so if my husband and I bought a $350,000 house (which is the range we are going to look in) it would be $49 per year? Also, someone here mentioned interest rates are very low, which is true.

It know this has been going on for a while and I am late to the party, but can someone explain what is the down side to the larger project if it fixes the issues with the older building so everything for the Seniors is there, and has the offices, and a gym which can be used during the day?
Welcome to the Forum.

In reading your note, there are some thing needing some clarification. First, the .14/$1000 is the mil rate per $1000 of property valuation. It has absolutely nothing to do with any mortgage financing. So not valid for any mortgage repayment calculation.

Second, the data from the DOT web site may not have been correctly interpreted. Traffic data on the NHDOT web site for 2016...the last year they posted information...traffic counts at RT25 east of Sheridan Road were 11,000. Traffic count on Old RT 109 was never measured. But traffic counts at RT109 south of Bodge Hill Rd. were 4,500. Nowhere does the DOT even mention Old RT109 traffic. It is false to try to equate traffic on RT25 and Old RT 109. However, when you look at traffic counts on RT109 in general, they are less than half of the volumes of RT25.

The "road" is not an access road. It is an emergency road for the Academy in case of a significant incident.

As far as I know, except for a couple of shallow test borings on the site, no other detailed engineering site evaluation has occurred, including ground water, drainage, traffic studies, excavation/foundation issues, etc.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote