View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #22
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I disagree about boats becoming bigger on this lake. Since 2008 and when the economy tanked, there are more and more day boats and pontoon boats and less large Carver like cruisers. The trend since 2008 has been buy a property to stay in and then rent/buy a slip for a day boat since no need to stay on the boat with property/house/condo. I have observed several slips that used to have larger cruiser liveaboards now replaced by pontoon boats, bowriders and now surf boats.
I disagree with your disagreement. Boats today are bigger and beamier than they were years ago. Just look at the issues with public docks and marinas. Slips and docks were not designed for boats with 8' or bigger beams - right now this is one of the issues Meredith is wrestling with as they look to redesign docks in Meredith and Sheps.

Perhaps we're talking about different time frames - 20 plus years ago, family boats were typically in the 18-21 foot range. Today, 25' or bigger seems more the norm. This makes sense, as I also believe there are many more day users (people who have a slip but no property, valet, or trailer) so a bigger platform for the day makes things more comfortable.

Just my observations, recollections, and thoughts...
Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote