View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #32
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
WOW, thats impressive. I must have gotten the problem models,,,

On my Craftsman 1000 series mower, I've replace the blade engagement cable 5 times and then pin on the blade engagement level broke once requiring replacement of that whole control. I've replace the spindle bearings once AND the whole spindle assemblies once. Rebuild the brakes once, and replaced the carb once. And while it generally mows throw anything I need it to, it never leaves an nice even finish without straggler blades of grass or strips of grass (failure to cut all the grass between the blades) regardless of the blades I buy. I've replaced the front tires twice and rears once. ETC, Etc, etc,,,

But it starts every time and except for the occasional cable failure, usually get the job done.

The snow thrower was a different story, the motor was flawless but for one carb replacement. And it generally gave better service than the mower, but it was not without its occasional drive failures. Replaced the friction wheel several times, broke the chain once, belts gave really poor service. But it was a brute for throwing snow, that motor would just kick in and blast the heaviest snow we got.

I replaced the snowthrower with a Honda 928, and honestly have no idea why I spent that much money. Could have bought 2+ Craftsman units for that price, and yet it is so well built is will probably outlast me! Not so much as a hiccup out of the Honda so far, its clearly best in class!

Not quite willing to go that route again (buying the most expensive model available) but I am willing to buy better than my Craftsman 1000 mower hoping it will hold up a bit better.

And in truth my biggest concern about another Craftsman is that its no longer owned by Sears, and while I had problems with my Craftsman equipment, I could always count on Sears to get me replacement parts that fit right and worked. And at the moment I dont have a good sense of that level of service to the Craftsman brand going forward.
It’s one of those things... upfront cost on your Honda is high but should give you piece of mind when you go hit the start button!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post: