View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
bobkatfly

Default Boat house

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltsimguy View Post
Came across this video on youtube yesterday which I found fascinating. It's a little history on the boathouse at Windward Harbor which used to house the steamship Swallow, and shows some "rails" which are underwater near it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D3x4_UkIiM

Somewhere in my family's folklore of The Lake, we always thought a sailboat was in the boathouse at one point (given the height of the doors), and there was a connection to the Kona Mansion. Does anyone recall a connection to either a sailboat or Kona?

Also, does anyone know if there are pictures of the Swallow in or around the Boathouse?
Three years ago I purchased my current boat from a guy whose family owns the boat house. I believe it's currently in a trust. Before we left with the boat he gave me a tour inside. Very impressive to see the Captain's and crews quarters as well as the coal bins. It has been used more recently for weddings and unfortunately for the wake/funeral of the owners brother. I think I have some photos taken inside. If I find them, I'll post them.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote