Thread: Salmon fishing
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2022, 09:44 AM   #11
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNI BOB View Post
Hi;

I have been fishing, snorkeling, and scuba diving the lake for over 60 years. I just want you and everyone else to know that the fishing will never be as used to be. The crayfish that used to be the Smallmouth's prime feed, are now gone. Killed off over the past few years by pollution. ... Winni Bob
For years (probably 65+ including my dad), we tossed a bait trap in our boathouse opening, baited with fish heads, bones, the occasional gutted sunny. Within hours, that trap would have 10-12 or more crayfish inside, and we'd use them as bait when fishing from the dock. Fast forward to circa 2012, the numbers had dwindled significantly. As kids, we'd snorkel and catch them under the rocks all around the dock and in the shallows. No more.

And agreed re: overall population...been scuba diving the lake for years and have noticed a decline in the overall population -- unless you're talking rock bass, in which case the numbers are exploding. Still, I've had some decent luck (not great, like circa '70s-'90s) kayak fishing with lures. But definitely hit or miss. Sad.