Thread: Hurricane Ian
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 11:28 PM   #33
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Brian;

Just curious why would the tides be so low??..I would think just the opposite with the storm surge??

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Dan
The winds were blowing counterclockwise, and very hard, we had sustained winds of 40MPH, and 70+MPH gusts.

With the center of the storm south of us, that meant we had a massively wide all of wind pushing all the water out into the middle of the Gulf. Similarly on the south side of the storm, those same winds were pushing massive amounts of water in.

The winds completely overtook any normal tidal influences. The water level continues to go out, slightly, during the time when we should have been rising to high tide. Same thing happened with Irma, but not as extreme.

We had some minor boat damage, a cleat pulled loose because my Slidemoor didn't have enough track to go so insanely low. It's ugly, but fixable.

Lost power at 6:20PM, will probably be out until some time tomorrow. This is the longest we've ever been without power for, this area is usually fairly resilient. We have a backup generator that can power most of the essentials though. I have enough fuel for probably a day, so we'll see what the situation looks like in the morning.

At this point (12:30 AM) it is looking like it's past us. Water is coming back in, the boat is just barely floating, another 6" or so and it should be fine.

One of my neighbors evacuated to Naples. Stayed in a really nice hotel on the 17th floor. He basically had a front row seat, said the first floor of the hotel is flooded. I saw some pics and videos from it, cars underwater in the parking lot, all the same stuff you're seeing on the news. This storm is going to turn out to be one of the biggest to hit Florida ever.