Thread: Hurricane Ian
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #1
8gv

Default Hurricane Ian

Recently there was discussion here about the wind on Winni and a mostly sunk boat.

Hurricane Ian is likely to sink quite a few boats and deposit others inland.

I'd bet there are some folks on this forum who are sitting on the edge of their seat watching the predicted storm track and "spaghetti" models as they are updated every few hours.

After being missed several times in my twenty-two years of SW FL ownership, I have a bad feeling about this one.

So much so that I flew down Sunday afternoon to "prepare".

The boat is on a lift with no other place to go.

I shall put in the plug, tie it down seven ways to Sunday, raise her above the tidal surge level, take off the bimini and go hide.

The last time I did this was for Hurricane Charlie when I was a bit more spry.

For that one I moved all the first floor furniture up to the second floor and barricaded the sliding glass doors with mattresses and heavy items.

I took refuge in the middle of the parking garage at Tampa International Airport.

The work made me dog tired but sleeping in the car was tough.

The phone rang after I had finally nodded off.

It was wifey with the good news (for us anyway) that the storm had turned inland well south of us and we were to get nearly nothing from it!

I expect to shelter in the same garage again for the worst of it but I'm not expecting any jubilant phone calls this time.

In the grand scheme of things, it's just "stuff" but this time I'm pretty sure my stuff is going to get stuffed!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote