Thread: Cost of fuel...
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2022, 03:54 AM   #145
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I don't know your roof or your financial situation (although you have found cash for awesome stuff such as a camp and a fleet of watercraft), so I can't tell you that solar would be a good investment for you...

But for many people with a sunny roof, the annual financial return on solar is >15%, and home equity loans are available for much less than that. In this context, a solar roof is the best investment that a "normal" person can make--much better than the expected returns on stocks, real estate, etc. That's not to say that there have not been years better than 15% for stocks and real estate, only that the average annual return is much less and the risk is much higher on these other things. The right comparison is not against a boat or other fun toy, it is against retirement savings, such as a 401K.

(Please do not tell me I am out of touch to suggest you bet your retirement. I am not suggesting that, only that you might think of this as part of a portfolio of investments. It's a high yield bond with relatively low risk.)
It's an equation with many variables, among which is the cost now vs. the cost over 30 years.

Other variables—for us—were roof age, roof orientation and tree cover questions, town tax codes (my town was, until recently, increasing home values with solar so there was an increase in taxes), initial investment costs, etc.

It's been a couple years, but when we'd looked we had heard too many horror stories about leasing and the other variables just didn't add up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk