Thread: Osteria Poggio
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #60
Overlake97

Thumbs up Very good experience, for the most part

Went to Osteria Poggio on Friday night @ 6:30PM. The place was already busy, with most tables in most dining rooms (multiple, with different atmosphere in each) filled. Overall, our experience was mostly positive, from the drinks and the the salads (a caesar and a "no lettuce" greek salad, which contained all the usual ingredients - olives, feta, cucumber, etc. - just no lettuce) to the entrees. When our waitperson placed the caesar in front of me, I regretted that I hadn't asked for some added anchovies, but when I tasted it I realized it didn't need them: Anchovy and garlic dominated the flavor, which for me was a big plus. For entrees, I had the Campanelle, which was a mix of fresh pasta, onions, cream sauce, and "crispy soppressata," which was described as a dry salami, but looked more like shaved ham. But it was really good. My wife ordered the filet mignon special, and this was the only negative, in two different ways. First, the steak was butterflied (to speed cooking?) and a bit overcooked (it looked like it had been steamed). But the main problem was when the check arrived: $45 for that filet. Guess it was our fault for not asking the cost when the specials were read to us, but when an item is priced that much above everything else on the menu (which it was, by 50%), this should have been mentioned by the waitperson. On the plus side, her side of pasta with a "four cheese" sauce was great, and very different than mine. Despite the "steak surprise," we'll definitely be back, as the food (mostly) + atmosphere + service (very efficient and knowledgeable) was overall excellent.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Overlake97 For This Useful Post: