View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #44
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
My comments about charging people for rescue was that idiots that get themselves in hot water through there own stupidity, should bear the costs. Hannah has a well thought out plan and is the most accomplished polar traveler alive. She has the record for the fastest time, man or woman, across Antarctica to the South Pole. Plus you can't travel to Antarctica or sledge to the North Pole without $300,000.00 worth of extraction insurance.
OK, thank goodness she's safe and sound first off, and the insurance certainly makes "who pays" a moot point.

But to BI's point, what if the insurance wasn't in place? Personally I don't believe that "we" as a society should pay for such ordeals. Now I understand how cool it is that someone wants to brave something that no one else does, but my paying to save them from the dangers of such actions is akin to me asking everyone here to sponsor my quest to drink more beer this year then last year. Kinda cool for me, but do the rest of you really care? Do the rest of you feel the need to pay for that? What if I decide to swim from my beach to the pier after drinking my beer, who's responsible for paying to save me then?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote