View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Here some food for thought

When it comes down to it, what people need to really think about in these situations is intent. No one goes into the woods for a hike planning to break a leg, twist and ankle, or fall down a slop and end up on a ledge with no avenue for escape. So there are cases where people legitimately need to get rescued because of an accident. My brother worked for the US forest Service and he helped many people out of the woods, that just had plain old bad luck.

Now when things happen because of negligence we have another story and people should be made to pay some restitution. Some points in case, back when I lived in Washington State, 3 lawyers went of hiking in the Olympic range all three of whom had little experience. One of them read that the best thing to do with used toliet paper was burn it. So someone, went to the bathroom, created a pile of paper, lit a match started it going and walked away. the next thing anyone new because it had been a dry summer, thousands of acres where burnt. Should someone in that incident be held accountable... yes, and the last time I knew the lawyers where still trying to pay there way out of the mess. Another case I know of was an incident my brother was involved in, on a nice fall morning, while working on a trail on Mt Washington, a man passed by my brother in flip flops, shorts and a tank top. He was advised by my brother, and the rest of the forest service crew to turn around. The wind was blowing up top and there had been reports of snow squals..... well several hours later, who where my brother, and his fellow rangers looking for.... yep Mr. Flip Flop..... who got caught in a squal, got disoriented, cramped up and was freezing cold when they found him. My feeling yes someone like that should pay for there rescue.

In short, trying to rescue and help another human being is part of being human. I know I can't pass by people in trouble. And as long as the problem is not brought about by stupidity, then what is the harm. However if something is brought on by a truely negligent act, well then possibly it is time to teach the person a lesson and charge them.