View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
AC2717

Default Both here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
There are laws and rules that regulate hikers and mountain climbers. Where you can go, what you can bring, what you can't do along the way. Boating on public waters should also have regulations consistent with that activity. That includes speed and horsepower limits in certain places at certain times.

As an additional argument I will point out there are many, many places you have a "right" to go on foot, but are not allowed to bring a vehicle.
JRC and BI might be getign alittle off topic here, I think what the original things is that go and do what you want when you want, but you might have to pay for it if somethign goes wrong, here is your possibilities, yes there is a social issue with yes everyone should be protected, and those that hockypuck mention like the plane crashign most of the time is an accident and in that case no charge should be considered, but when you knowing have all the rsik infront of you you should bear the risk that goes along with it. Boaters have to pay to be on the lake with registration, have to pay for gas and have to pay to be rescued via tows and or other issues, like boat and environmental repairs and insurance.

Hikers do not have insurance costs except for themselves as life insurance, no insurance to reimburse the costs no real fees for doing somethign in the environment like boating, and likely so that is fine. But for a rescue effort and I think this is what thread is trying to discuss. And on this point, YES, the costs of fuel and resources and materials should be accounted for in situations like this. Now if it could be deemed a "true accident" like a leg being broken on a hike up the mountain on a non life endangering day then it is another story and they should be held accountable.

Also the volunteer's risk, they do know and that is not what I care about, they want to do it, they are better people than I am, I also have no experience.

On last thing and I will stop and read reactions - Skiers pay to ski mountains via lift tickets, and those mountains that do not have lift for real skiing, they have to pay to get up there somehow via helicopter or guides, there are costs involved.
AC2717 is offline   Reply With Quote