Thread: Oil Changes
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default I'll stick with doing my own.

I run high end Amsoil products in all of our vehicles, including ATV’s, snowmobiles, motorcycle and all power equipment. I do as they recommend and change the oil once a year and at 6 months spin on a new filter and top it off. The up front cost is higher but the savings over the course of a year is significant even over conventional oils.
McGreevy's Automotive Belmont was purchased by the Autoserv group.
Autoserv service departments do not have a good track record for quality work.
My Ford truck was purchased at the one in Tilton. Long story short they told my wife one thing and when I talked to the same person they had a different answer.
Unless I have to will not drive into Irwin Ford for service either.
Remember, many if not all of your quick lubes stations pay the employees by what they do not number of hours worked. So they are always in a rush to get you in and out as quickly as possible. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard about the filter not being put on properly and leaking or the plug being left off or loose or worse over tightened and stripping the threads. Yes they are cheap but how much do you save if you run down the road and the car runs out of oil. And try proving it was their fault.
I've given up on paying for work I can do myself. I've found that the 100 to 150 mark up on parts has just become unaffordable, as is the $80-$100 hourly shop rate.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote