Old 09-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #31
ApS

Arrow No 161-MPH Training Available...

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
OUTSTANDING post!

Did you compete yourself?

Myself, I'm a former drag racer, very different activity in many way, and at the same time many of the same challenges apply. As is the case with most drag racers, we are also often our own builders and mechanics, and for me there is a duality to racing that I love the tuning and testing as much as the racing. Building the car, tuning the car and racing the car you eventually become one with the car and can sense how its running and reacting. Its all been a great joy to have participated in. Sounds like you have some really interesting and fun seat time! Maybe some quiet summer day we can connect and you can share some of your experiences.

Thanks.
Yes, two decades in SCCA. I never lost to Linda Corosso--now Lyn St. James. (CART, Indianapolis 500, Daytona 500, Nürburgring 24 Hours, NASCAR board).

At the time, the cadre of the club's instructors were picked from competition. As interest in high-speed instruction grew, instructors from other clubs were recruited. Such interest spread so fast, that events were closed to new participants after being open only 10 days from the announcement.

Perhaps every car manufacturer has comparable opportunities, but it's likely you'll have to travel long distances. Other than Toyota, Ferrari, Audi and BMW, I'm unaware of what clubs have events at the new Tamworth track or at NHMS. Search Google using Boston clubs.

Although you'll not see speeds of 161 on any closed track, these events are good courses to resist being unexpectedly lifted into the air. (BTW: Rain doesn't halt progress at these events).

I left instructing when our club merged with the Porsche club, and the instructors' "private" hour of track time had me constantly looking in my rear view mirrors for approaching Porsches having 500-HP! (Unaccustomed to having someone catching up).

That local track was only 8.1 miles from my residence, so I could hear when the motorcycle group started, and a half-hour remained to finish lunch!