Old 08-02-2022, 06:14 PM   #45
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I have analyzed my appliance use and came up with the following:

Attachment 17694

What stands out:
  • Need to be careful with the space heater in the winter
  • Air conditioning cost can be reduced by more than 50% by not using it at night(using a fan instead). I've tried that for the last 3 nights. Not fun.
  • Water heater uses significant electricity compared to air conditioner. That's only for 1 hour a day.
  • Modem/router consumes a surprising amount of electricity. Can't really turn it off at night because the modem is downstairs but Roku nighttime TV is upstairs.
  • Refrigerator uses a surprisingly small amount of electricity compared to the top consumers. Hope I calculated it right.
  • Dehumidifier is a top consumer, but doesn't need to be used every day or all day. Once the humidity in the basement is lowered, it's good for several days to a week.
  • Other items are much smaller consumers of electricity. Every little bit helps, but, for example, changing from incandescent to LED lightbulbs isn't going to lower my electric bill significantly. LED bulbs are hard on light-sensitive eyes.

QUESTION: How can I figure out my new monthly Eversource charge using the above chart?
Your space heater and AC would be more intermittent than some of the other items that are used each and every day.

But for the space heater... you may want to think of an electric blanket/throw/pad.