View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 03:52 PM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
It's August 1, the day the new electric rates begin. This month I'm going to experiment with ways to reduce water and electricity usage.

Electric water heater: I need very little hot water. In the summer cold showers would be OK. For washing dishes I can heat water on the stove. Laundry doesn't really require hot water. So I'm paying a lot to keep the water hot in the tank, but I get little return on that investment.

I believe my water heater is set at 120 degrees. I can't set it lower due to the risk of Legionnaire's disease (in fact on study found that the bacteria can grow at 136 degrees). Plan B: Turn off the hot water heater altogether so that cold water is drawn directly from the town water supply. Questions:

(1) How exactly would I do that?

(2) Will the standing water in the water heater cause any damage to the heater or other problems?

(3) When (if) I turn the water heater on in the winter, how would I ensure the safety of the water in the tank?
#1. Put simple on off toggle switch on your tank. I have one on mine and been using it for years for when we are not at the house for any long period.

#2. No

#3. As long as you let the water heat up fully before using you should be OK.

Dan