View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
As I've posted in the past, I've tried about everything...... roman candles, shellcrackers, fake foxes, even my grandson's remote controlled boat but the only thing that keeps them out permanently is the strings of flags that you buy in the party store......the kind that business' use for openings and such.
Using small stakes, string them so that the tips of the flags are 6" to 8" off the ground right at the waters edge. Don't leave any low spots for them to get around from the sides.
After a couple of weeks they left and don't even come in our bay anymore.
This is the 3rd year this has worked for us
.....finally got rid of those fuzzy little water rats.
Bob, I hope some of the people on here who see the only solution to the Geese problem to be killing them, will follow your sage advice.

By simply educating yourself on the habits of these creatures you can learn how to keep them at bay. Typically, Canada geese cannot fly from mid-June to early July when they molt their primary flight feathers. They prefer to eat grass, especially young succulent shoots, found in abundance on mowed, fertilized lawns. Geese like short, succulent grass to feed upon because taller grass isn't as palatable to them. Mowed lawns also provide loafing areas where predators can be seen from a distance. By eliminating mowing at least 20 feet from shorelines or in even larger tracks of land, geese will be encouraged to shy away from these areas and look for safer spots with better food sources.

So, landscaping can play a huge part in whether or not you have geese on your property. If you choose to have a lush lawn as opposed to landscaping that needs little to no maintenance, you might as well be ringing a dinner bell for the geese.