View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #55
Rattlesnake Guy

Default I can see this.

My boys and I have personal experience with the 2 inch cooling line coming off while under power. We had launched at the Alton ramp and the kids drove up the bay like we always do. The kids came back in a panic, "the boat is sinking, get the trailer". The boat was still doing fairly well when I got to it. They raised the cover over the engine compartment and sure enough, there was at least 8 inches of water in the bottom of the boat. The bilge was pumping and I tried to assure the kids that we should try to figure out where the boat was leaking before we attempted to trailer it back to the marina. The more we looked, the lower the water got. Panic started to fade. I wondered why the motor was so wet. I had the kids turn the motor on and oh my God, you can get an awful lot of water through a 2 inch hose. The dealer must have not tightened the hose correctly after the winterizing the previous fall. It popped off during the seasons maiden voyage.

We now check all hoses just like the flyer the Marina hands out suggest. I guess they mean this one. I can only imagine what would have happened if we had been out on the broads and tried to get to shore before we sank.

I believe the kids knew something was up because of the weight the water added to the boat and made it unable to get on plane. Keep that in your emergency data base.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote