View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #16
Pine Island Guy

Default shouldn't be a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
In looking at NOAA there are two evenings over the coming weekend that are forecast to drop down to freezing overnight.....is this a concern (my lake water plumbing is exposed to the elements under the house as well). Will temps potentially in the high 20s not generate the "hard freeze" that you're talking about?
When we had the house on pilings and plumbing open to the air, we never shut it down until mid-November... the "lake effect" where the water temp is still in the 60s will help keep the surrounding shoreline areas a bit warmer than the forecast for the town... in addition, the temps need to drop into the low 20s for more than a few hours before the water in pipes would start to freeze... think about when you put an ice-cube tray in the freezer (which is typically at 0 degrees), and how long it takes before they are solid enough for your gin & tonic

That said, I did sometimes push the envelope and have to make a couple of last minute runs to the island when I saw the temp prediction was going to be in the low teens...

Enjoy the extended season on the island, it is spectacular on the lake this time of year!!!

-PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post: