View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 03:45 AM   #100
ApS

Question Don't Even Swim in The Water...What's Next in Toxic Life-Forms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
True.

But the tiny cabin near the waters edge that is 80 years old without an updated septic probably pollutes more than the McMansion with a properly installed septic.

Or the old tiny 2 cycle 1960 Johnson outboard probably pollutes more than the dual V8 cigarette boat.

Don't assume size is all that matters.

But the bulk of the pollution is runoff. I'm not saying the others things are not worth monitoring and finding solutions for.

My point is some folks seem to think if we were back in the 1950's mentality all the pollution would not exist. Most of the pollution today is due to the practices back from the 1950's. And if we were as strict today back then the lakes would be in better shape.
Cabins rarely achieve an age of 50 years on Winter Harbor.

One near me was 50 years old, and was just torn down last week. Some local tear-downs had concrete basements!

The former will become a McMansion, built beside a Mega-McMansion with three fireplaces. They advertise for summer renters saying it will support five families!

Before we built here, a woodsman "harvested" every marketable White Pine tree on our acre. As a result, eroding boat wakes are slowly sliding our entire lot into the lake!

A few large Maple trees were left (showing the maple "taps" when used for maple syrup in the 1940s-1950s).

But the largest trees left behind were Eastern Hemlock, which have no redeeming value; that is, besides providing shade.

Anyway, I noticed that our Eastern Hemlock needle "duff" was being crushed into mud by repeated hammerings of boat wakes: Where there used to be sand, this shoreline now has deep soggy soil pockets that can trip you up.

New weeds (to this area) have taken root. Could these changes introduce new single-cell life-forms to Lake Winnipesaukee?

We know the lake has giardia, gleoetrichia, and blue-green bacteria at present. What other life-forms can present a fourth toxic menace? We've read about it happening elsewhere:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/23/amoeba...n-into-liquid/
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote