View Single Post
Old 08-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #257
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
Evenstar: Again I will adapt. I will go to other poker runs that will allow me to run my boat the way that I want. I am not particularly fond of anyone else telling me how to run my boat/life. So my solution.... go to another lake for poker runs. I am still raising money for charities, just not local to Winni. I can live with that. The local charities still loose and that is a shame.
Apparently your goal is your own personal enjoyment – so stop using the Easter Seals as an argument against the speed limit.

Quote:
Yes races are held by boating groups all the time. Sailboat groups, maybe even paddle groups. Refresh my memory when was the last time a race was run at the local level for offshore boats? You seem to have conveniently skipped over the part were I mentioned that if I am in a RACE then I have no INSURANCE!
So are you trying to say that there are no races for offshore boats? If there are indeed races, then how is this possible, when insurance is not available?

Your unwillingness to be involved in at poker run, where you can’t exceed 45mph just further proves that your own personal enjoyment is more important than raising money for a charity.

Quote:
Comparing motorcycles to offshore power boats is about the same as comparing offshore power boats to kayaks.
Ok, so give me one example of a kayak poker run. Motorcycle poker runs are very common – in fact, motorcycles were part of the Land and Lake Poker Run at Lake Winnipesaukee that you are claiming will no longer be able to raise money for the Easter Seals due to the lake speed limit: “Interested in doing something different this summer? Hop in your boat, personal watercraft, motorcycle, truck or car and join Easter Seals NH and the HK Powersports for the region's Land and Lake Poker Run at Lake Winnipesaukee Saturday, July 12.” http://www.jetski.com/article.cfm?id=813

Quote:
Today I can not get out to the big lake. Why because some bone head in a kayak got to close to the locks, lost control and went over the falls. Risked peoples lives that had to come save her and now we are all inconvenieced with closed locks for the weekend. So what should our reaction to this be?
First of all, get the story straight - The locks were closed due to high water – the kayak accident just showed the danger.
“High Water Causes State to Close Songo Lock to Boaters - Posted on: Friday, 8 August 2008, 15:00 CDT - By Max Mogensen: AUGUSTA - Maine's Department of Conservation announced Thursday it is temporarily closing the Songo River Lock to all boat traffic due to unusually high water and dangerous current. The control gates on the lock, which raises and lowers the water level of the Songo River to allow boaters to go between Brandy Pond and Sebago Lake is being left open temporarily to prevent flooding. The decision comes a day after a vacationing kayaker, Carol Emmons, was rescued from the lock when her kayak tipped her into the cold, swift-moving current. Two deputies pulled her to safety with a rope. http://www.redorbit.com/news/science...urce=r_science

Quote:
More people die in Kayaks each year then offshore power boats yet we are the ones that get regulated?
You are not being singled out. A lake speed limit effects ALL powerboats that are capable of exceeding the speed limit. Kayakers are not a danger to powerboats – yet the opposite is not true.

I have been very open about my limited experience with powerboats – How much experience do you have with sea kayak?