Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #414
Airwaves

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip
HB 847 indeed will address "safe passage" (RSA 270-D:2 VI (a) 6) and a host of other general operating guidelines by making a conviction for those offenses reportable to the NHDMV, not only on Winni but for the temporary two years any public water body.
How is making a conviction for violationg HB 847 reportable to the RMV and tied to your drivers license remotely connected to the safe passage law?
Quote:
Originally posted by SKIP
Secondly, at no time has the Director or any official spokesperson for Safety claimed that enforcement of this temporary section will result in diverting crews. There are a number of times that the oft suggested two officers are routinely manning a craft and they can easily incorporate occasional radar pickets into their routine patrol. Additionally, the addition of radar will authorize the NHMP to apply for and implement "radar grants" which will allow them the opportunity to employ additional patrols while not requiring an increase in their original budget.

Land based law enforcement officers have made radar a regular part of their daily routine. The NHMP will easily be able to incorporate the same principles.
And no public official will ever say publically that they have to divert crews, but there is no additional funding under HB 847 so in order to enforce it, and they will enforce it especially the first summer because of the hot button political issue that it has become, it will require crews to be certified and deployed (diverted). I have never been a public employee so I can only use as an example what would happen to my business if I were forced to expand a service with existing personnel and no additional funding source. You have to prioritize and for 2009 radar posts will be the political priority.

As you know many of the Marine Patrol officers utilized during the summer are seasonal employees. I seriously doubt that the Marine Patrol will send seasonal employees through the training necessary to earn the certification needed to use radar that can be presented in court. I could be wrong about that but it would seem to me that permanent officers would be the ones they would certify.

The NHMP could apply for radar grants, but wouldn't they have to show a need and the ability to use the additional equipment? Again I doubt that seasonal officers would be a plus when applying for a grant like this since they are unlikely to be certified in the use of radar.

Land based law enforcement officers do make radar part of their routine patrols, but again they are certified and for the most part, permanent officers not seasonal employees.