Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #411
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry49 View Post
my biggest disagreement is when your trying to argue that businesses around the area are hurting because of performance boats, the only type i can think of that may be hurting are those who focus sales on kayaks and paddle boats... what your missing is the majority of businesses that benefit from performance boats, remember these people are the people with money and they come up from all over and spend it here. and when i say performance boaters I'm talking about boats capable of going over 45 mph. i myself have a 20 foot 1979 slicraft than can hit 50 mph. so there are PLENTY of boats on the lake that will be affected by this and not in a good way

another disagreement i have is when you say several large marinas are in favor of this bill. I do know a couple that possibly are but the majority of their business is cabin cruisers that just plow through the water and wont be affected by this. i have worked at a marina for 5 years we store over 400 boats and i can tell you right now maybe 10-15 of them cant do over 45 mph I have talked to many customers about this bill and more than half tell me they will take their business elsewhere if this bill passes, big loss in revenue for the state.

when you talk about the camp directors yes you are talking about safety because that is "what your telling me" they're reason to stay off the lake

my last concern is about pollution. these "performance" boats don't run wide open all day long, in fact well less than half the time. gas is so expensive now most people cant afford to. i was at the gas dock for 3 years and i can tell you right now cabin cruisers go through way more gas than "performance" boats

If there haven't been any speed linked accidents during the day on the lake why is there a threat posed? are they speeding too close to you, is the 150 foot rule not far enough?
I was answering your original question as to why people want a daytime speed limit. I gave you the answer to your question. You may not find them valid, however we do have reasons and data.

There have been many daytime accidents involving speed. Don't believe the opposition rhetoric. They only want to count boat to boat accidents, in daytime, at speeds PROVEN to be over 45 mph and that do not involve alcohol. The problem is very few accidents have a specific speed attributed to them by the Marine Patrol. Without a number over 45, once again, an accident just doesn't count in their opinion.

The list of HB847 supporters is not just kayak and canoe dealers. Some of the largest hotels and restaurants and tourist businesses are on the list.

And the list also contains marinas that deal in "regular boats" like Trexlers. Smart businesses realize there is a lot more money coming in from families than from the performance boat crowd. When families are afraid to go out on the water, the lake economy is in serious trouble.

I don't understand how you can discount the complaints of the local children's camps so easily. It makes me think you original question was not really a question, and you are against speed limits no matter who gets hurt.