View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #28
pats fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
You know, it's comments like yours that really irk me. It's insulting and uncalled for. I really try to get along with everyone, but that kind of attitude makes it pretty much impossible. And then you guys wonder why paddlers and powerboat owners don't get along better. Give me a break.

First of all, my kayak is just as much a boat as the biggest and most expensive powerboat. Being human powered does not make it any less of a boat. After all, kayaks have been around a lot longer than power boats.

Secondly, the lake is not an expressway - it's a recreational body of water. It is for everyone to use, including kayaks. And we have the right to use just as much of the lake as the powerboats.

I'm really sick of the contention here that a sea kayak has no place being out on the main lake - especially when 99% of those comments come from people who have never even paddled in a sea kayak.
You really should not be so sensitive! The orange ant with the strobe light was very funny! I agree that the lake is for everyone to use and enjoy, including kayaks. I also have a kayak and want to feel safe on the lake. However, thinking rationally about this we kayakers have to look at both sides of this with open eyes. You said you have as much right to use the lake as powerboats. I agree. But! HOW we all use the lake is the question. The powerboats are not allowed within 150 feet of the shore. That is for the safety of swimmers, boaters and kayakers! We have a few hundred miles of shore to kayak safely. Why not leave the open waters to the powerboats? You and I can have just as much fun, exercise and enjoyment of the lake along the shore as we can in the broads. More so actually! The fun part is looking at the homes and landscape. You are saying you should be able to kayak anywhere you want and feel safe. Then what is good for the goose is good for the gander. The powerboats should be able to boat anywhere they want. Does that make sense to you? There are rules put in place so that everyone can enjoy their respective sport. Their sport makes sense to be enjoyed away from the shore and ours makes sense to be enjoyed nearer the shore. As a side, you mentined that your boat is as much of a boat as the biggest and most expensive powerboat. I think this sounds like a bit of envy and jelousy. So his is bigger than yours! So what! Does yours still do what you want it to do? Then give it a name and don't worry if his is bigger, better and more money!