View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #22
4Fun

Evenstar, you have some good counterpoints to my post but what I think the others are trying to bring out is the person in the kayak should be REQUIRED to bear half the risk of being out there. Your arguments and many others are that since kayakers are slow and hard to see, the other users of the lake should accommodate. I don’t really see much give on that side.

The responsibility of the kayaker to be visible is as important as the boater's is to be on lookout. The problem is the risk of injury is much greater to the kayaker than the power boater in a mishap. This is not the type of thing a law can really protect against. The only way to live together is for BOTH sides to understand the others view.

Fortunately Winni has plenty of rocks and some very nice protected areas. I would think if I was an avid kayaker why not just stay on the "wrong" side of the marker where the boats don’t go? If you have to cross an area that has lots of traffic just be conscious and make yourself noticeable. Maybe a red kayak instead of a blue one for instance. Red jacket instead of the blue one that matches the kayak. Most if not all people want to be courteous to others and will do what they can to go around you with room to spare. Enhancing visibility can go a long way.