View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Josh K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
I assume you are talking about something similar to those clear wraps they put on cars? I see in your post it says above the waterline, but what about below it? I would think that would be a real nice alternative to bottom painting for those in a salt water environment. A lot of people won't buy a bottom painted boat so there would definitely be value to the boat owner/future prospective buyers. Be interested to know how long it would last but like the concept of peeling it back if you ever went to sell it. Also be interested to know what, if any, impact on the gelcoat it would have.
Yes, very similar to the clear wraps they put on cars, the main difference being the durability. As to your point about applying the film below the waterline, I actually had a Professor I was working with recommend the same idea. I reached out to a company who uses current 3M technology for that purpose to get an idea of how the product would hold up being constantly submerged under water, and they said that it only holds up if the boat is stored out of the water. Either way, this is definitely something that I want to look into, as I know how much bottom paint can hurt the resale value of a boat. As for the impact on the gel coat, as long as heat is applied when being removed, there should be absolutely no damage. This adhesive technology is used on all different types of cars with absolutely no issue when it comes to paint damage.
Josh K is offline   Reply With Quote