View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
ApS

Post Plant Trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthappy View Post
Anyhow. Any other tips I should know about, I'm all ears. Never bought a second place before.
Well, I've bought five! (But not all at the same time).

This is the very moment to promote your privacy issues, increase property values, and save energy costs by planting some fast-growing native trees.

A "Prepper" would include fruit trees in their plantings.

Hemlocks for privacy, and other "soft-wood" conifers should be planted on the north side of the property to reduce the worst of Winter's blasts. When you plant some, stagger them for best sun and growth—if you have the space. White Pines are easily transplanted when under a foot in height. They'll need a surprisingly large amount of room to prosper.

White Pines grow especially fast—especially with a little evergreen fertilizer and full sun. (They're the first to appear in the forests after a fire). Their needles "mat" to reduce surface rainwater runoff. But don't plant them where you park your car!

Their dead branches and pine cones are excellent fire-starters for your wood stove.

BTW, a wood stove is a good backup for severe winters —if you don't have one, I'd install one.