Thread: Got Boats?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #100
DoTheMath

Default Re: Got Boats?

Mink Islander - you have GOT to be kidding with that attitude! It is comments like that that give those of us good folks on the lake a bad name! I have been on this lake for 35 years, (since I was 10 mo. old.) and I have seen LOTS of changes! Changes in people, places and boats, some for the better and some for the less-than-better. But I have to agree with my fellow "sport boat / Cigarette boat" owners on this board. The overwhelming MAJORITY of the owners of these boats know what they are doing and are VERY respectful, don't lump the few clowns that don't in with the rest of us. It takes lots of seat time to develop the skill and knowledge of how to operate a large boat properly, anyone can jump in and drive away in a 20' bow-rider, just look at all the renters on the weekends up on the lake! Lofty's point is a general point about the operation of these boats, and I will put my money on the "performance" boater ALL DAY LONG when it comes to day-to-day boating skills, ALL DAY LONG!! Crusing around in a six inch ripple in a 20' boat can be done by a child of 10. Now, try getting out in 3, 4 or even 5 foot confused water and run, then see how you do. Try docking a 38' boat at the town docks in Wolfeboro some Saturday, and see how you do... Boating is for EVERYONE, and just because one guy (or gal, and there are plenty of those too...) chooses to buy a "big - fast" boat, and someone else chooses to buy a nice little Sea Ray doesn't make either of them right or wrong, just different people with different interests. Don't perpetuate the "stuffy, stuck-up, if they are not with me they are against me" wrap... it is not making you, or the rest of your fellow lakers look very good! Respect the water, respect the land and respect your fellow boater, regardless of the boat they drive and they will respect you back!