View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 06:40 AM   #106
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Does your neighbor's surveillance camera monitor your activities? Shouldn't permission be asked?

My Central Florida neighbor installed a six-foot fence, then installed a surveillance camera above it. It's ostensibly there to monitor his waterfront possessions; however, it is in plain view each time I open my door.

(We're good friends, his having moved here unaware of my move here thirty years earlier. We knew each other from the same building in a distant city! )

Should I be grateful for such surveillance, or has our society followed Britain into some form of Orwellian dystopia?

Neighbor's camera pointed at your house is boorish and uncouth. People should know better.

IMO you should be grateful that technology exists to monitor your premises if you want to. How you use that technology is up to you, it's no one else's business, unless they infringe on you.

As far as the Orwellian dystopia, that ship has sailed. Drive through any city intersection, any toll both, or even down the highway and you will see cameras everywhere, all monitoring you, most connected to some central hub. This was all done relatively quietly, under the radar and in the name of safety. We are a surveillance state. There are police cars with cameras that run you license plate real time, pull up the owner's info on the fly with no justification. Bored police with out the cameras have terminals in their cars where they randomly type license plates fishing for a hit.

Pretty much anyone over 40 or 50 years old allowed this to happen. Not a good outcome from our generation. Do you feel safer?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote