Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 07:09 AM   #87
ITD

I have no use for a room heater personally, but there are several conversations going on here. Some are talking about using these heaters to heat a room, you are focused on using one of these heaters to warm the occupant.

Using these heaters to heat a room is probably one of the most expensive ways to heat a room and one of the least efficient ways to use electricity for heat.

If I were to use one of these heaters it would be to warm me while sitting in a chair. I would probably opt for an infrared heater. But for me, if I'm chilled, a blanket works great, sometimes too well as I'll fall asleep. If a blanket weren't enough, I'd get a heated throw blanket. They use much less electricity and focus the heat much better.

An electric fan is a heat source. It also imparts mechanical energy to the air it moves, that energy is converted to heat eventually and it all happens in the room for a small heater like we are talking about. In reality most of the 1500 watt heaters that use a fan have a small induction motor that probably uses a few watts of electricity. But that is still a source of heat to a room.

Thermodynamics, not just a good idea, it's the law.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote