Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #20
LikeLakes

The "drive 15 miles to save $1.73 on filling the car" phenomenon is as old as gas stations. I'd say a few generations ago it was even more prevalent. More of a psychological study since it never actually saves money.

Thinkxingu, great point by you on my post, when I said least efficient I should have clarified, thanks for doing so.

It really is an interesting subject, and a variety of factors enter in. Is someone looking for the lowest environmental footprint? The lowest cost? The answer varies of course based on the goal.

In my experience it is more cost efficient to heat a space with a central heating system, if you want to supplement with a space heater for a few hours now and then go for it. Where I think people end up kidding themselves is when they keep the central heat at 50 and use a few space heaters for 5-6 hours a day or more, they think they are saving but actually would be better off just heating the house to 64 or 66 degrees and occasionally using a space heater. Spend the money on more insulation rather than electricity for space heaters.

Pellet stoves change the equation and can be a great source of comfortable heat where you want it, wood stoves too. I'm less familiar with the economics of those.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote