View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #20
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I've never coated the boat, but have a lot of experience with the cars. I would imagine that, like with vehicles, prep is mandatory. Lots of fake ceramics out there today, and most of the dealer ones are, well, a tad weak, and tremendously overpriced as well. The real coatings generally come in small bottles, and require a bit of experience to use. https://angelwaxwestcoast.com/produc...coating-500ml/. Is one that works very well.

These coatings assume you've taken the time to really polish your gelcoat and free it of all contaminants before starting. I typically polished every spring, and used Gel Coat labs for polishing and protection.

I would never pay a dealer to coat anything. If you have a bonafide detailer in the area, take it to them.
And has anyone actually checked to see what the boat manufacturer says about some of these coatings??? My 3" thick bible provided by Formula tells you to wash and wax it, it says NOTING about any ceramic sealer and so it begs the question, could you void your warranty on the finish by doing this? I would not be surprised. I have seen similar happen in the pool industry, the fiberglass pool people will void your warranty for the smallest of deviation from their guidance.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote