View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Wire the place for a generator. Islands are the last place to get power restored and having even a small generator to power the essentials is a nice to have.

Put in a large pantry so you can stock the place for the season with non perishables. Can't have enough closet space either.

Screen porch is nice, 3 season is even better especially if you have lots of sun as it will stay warm when there is a nip in the air.

Some source of heat for early and late season heating. I would highly suggest getting a pellet stove just because wood can be hard to come by and propane works, but is far more expensive.

Try to plan for as much covered storage as you can because you will find that you will need lots of spare stuff. For example I built a bunch of lumber racks under my camp so can keep a little bit of everything I might need for repairs. A shed is a must have too.

Keep your plumbing simple and easy to drain at the end of the season. In fact putting in a fitting for an air compressor is something I plan to do this year so I can just blow out all the plumbing. Quick disconnects on your supply lines make putting in or taking out your water lines a snap. If you plan to pull water from the lake have a pump house built so your pump isn't out in the weather.

Have good dock lighting installed, if you come in after dark it's nice to have.

Metal roof and vinyl siding, make it as maintenance free as possible.

I would avoid any insulation because it attracts rodents.

Make sure you have as many trees as possible cleared around the building area. Taking them down after they are huge and to close to the building is not only a pain in the neck, but can be expensive.

If you have to go with a seasonal dock, it's worth putting in a crank up. It's easy to deal with. To assemble a wood dock yourself is a whole lot of work, and if you pay somebody to do it every year it's expensive to have done.

Keep it simple!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote