View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I couldn't agree more. The leaders of Laconia have totally butchered what should be a jewel of the Lakes Region. I am not sure what the problem is but the result of Laconia's inaction has been to drive commerce to places like Meredith. It likely will get worse before it gets better.
I could not agree more. I wrote in another post this exact situation, that bike week drives development away because a land owner can generate income with no improvements, making the land owners pretty much lazy, where as anywhere else you need to improve the land to make a buck. I know for a fact that the powers that be, take the attitude that, it is what it is, and who are they to change it, really great planning attitude.
Speaking of Laconia planning, the new steep slope ordinance pretty much makes all of the weirs need a zoning variance, so they just keep adding regulation to stop development. That entire area is over 25% slope (so is pretty much the entire lakes region). So anyone looking to buy up and revamp the Weirs has a serious up hill battle and a lot of extra expense to make that area into the great place we all know it could, simply because of Laconia. Not only that but they are adding more regulations.
I have never understood the steep slope ordinances towns put in place, if you want a walk out basement on your house it requires a lot with greater than 25% slopes pretty much, yet with these regulations it makes an area like that unbuildable.
I could go on about this for a while...
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to birchhaven For This Useful Post: