View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Not a single passing boat slowed while going through the Graveyard today. You'd think the 2nd and 3rd one would after we got turned into their path a bit by the wake of the first!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It's a dog eat dog world out there. Don't expect people to be nice, or considerate when they don't have to be... When I go through the Graveyard, and someone is already in it coming at me in the opposite direction, I will do whatever they are doing, come down to headway speed, or stay up on plane. Do unto others... However, if I enter it by myself, (in either direction), I always enter it up on plane and will keep it there regardless of what someone else does if they enter it AFTER I entered it first. That's my own little "rule of thumb" for the Graveyard if it's not a heavy traffic day. If people are coming at you in the Graveyard up on plane, you have to do the same to keep (better) control of your boat because you have nowhere to go but straight till you get out of the Graveyard. Simple as that IMHO. The only time you can run into a problem is if you have (heavy traffic), someone going in the same direction as you going through at headway speed, and you come up behind them and are forced to come down to headway speed with them, while the people coming at you in the opposite direction are up on plane. Then you have no choice, but if you are always paying close attn, and looking far ahead, you can avoid that situation altogether by watching what any boats (going in the same direction as you) are doing, and by looking to see how much traffic is coming at you in the opposite direction. And of course, if there is heavy traffic, you also have to be aware of the guy behind you if you slow down for someone in front of you going headway speed. The guy behind you may try to pass you, (you never know), it's a dog eat dog world out there. Just (expect it), and be ready for it... So much for the 150' rule going through the Graveyard... Kind of surprised it's not a NWZ.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 10-01-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote