View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 08:28 AM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Go out on a calm day, start with the tabs all the way up, to take them out of the equation..... The get up on plane and go to about 3500 rpm... that is where most people tend to cruise... then slowly trim the boat up, see how it re-acts, the the tabs up and out of play, you should find the balance point, where the bow will bounce with the least little ripple.... Once you find that point, trim back down a little, and that is likely where you want the drive when you out and about...

Then put the trim tabs back into play, and use them as your supposed to, to control the attitude of the boat for the given conditions....

Tabs and trim on the drives are for different things, most people don't know how to use them in conjunction with each other... so the best thing is to find where you want the drive, and leave it there, and use the tabs to adjust the boat from then on out.....
This is exactly what I did.

What surprises me is how how little trim up this boat will tolerate.

Most boats I have driven never porpoise, you will simply just over trim an lose performance.

Clearly the combination of hull design, length, power and the ability to transmit that power into thrust have created the ability in this boat to porpoise.

Also it appears that Formula has picked an engine/outdrive angle that is very neutral. It neither allows you trim down to an angle that lets you plant the nose in really rough water, nor does it appear to need much trim up to reach the designed planing attitude.

No complaints, just not what I have experienced in the past and seems interesting/unusual to me, as most boat I have driven usually have a pretty wide range of trim they operate/tolerate. I honestly have no reasonable basis to say if this is common or uncommon, I only know what I have see personally and for my this is a different experience. And the experience that MeredithMan describes is pretty much how our boat performed, so it would seem to me there is nothing wrong with my boat per se, nor my surprise by the way it performed compared to my personal past experience.

Thanks!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote