View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #51
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What am I missing here? You said the marinas should be OK to make a living, but in an earlier post you thought launching at WAM should be free. You apparently don't pay taxes here (Andover, MA?) but you seem to trailer here and then you're upset with the state and the towns?

There's not much open land available suitable for building a launch ramp and parking lot. Let's say $2,000,000 for a small town like Alton to acquire land and build a ramp, parking area, public bathrooms etc. so you an drive up here and use it for free? And you're surprised the local voters won't support your wishes? They don't have that kind of money.
The state does do some development e.g. Downings. There is a Public Water Access Advisory Board (volunteers, mostly) who work with Fish and Game to locate, develop and maintain water access points all over the state. You're welcome to use them. Here's the map: https://wildlife.state.nh.us/maps/boatfish/index.html

It appears there is water access in Harold Parker State Forest, in Andover Massachusetts, and I think it is free. "Free" in this case means the government pays for it. LOL.
Maybe my english is not good, YES marinas should be able to charge what they want to use their ramps and park on their grounds and use their facilities!

That in no way should let the state and towns off the hook to provide no cost robust access and parking and facilities! Seems to me you even have state laws requiring the state to provide access.

The two situations are NOT mutually exclusive.

As for taxes, no I do not pay NH taxes, but I do register my boat in NH (which costs more than MA at last I checked) as I feel I should be paying for the resources I use. I also buy all my gas in NH (boat and truck) when we boat there, and we spend prolifically in NH to support NH businesses as opposed to buying on the internet and not patronizing local business.

As for the cost of ramps to local towns, thats what our registration is suppose to cover! Not pay for the Governor to go overseas on so called business trips or attend Governors conventions or other nonsense.

Fact is, the ramps were there, towns and the state simply failed to use their revenue to fund the required improvements and/or relocate them when there was a need, and in some cases blocked non-residents from using them.

You want the registration fees, and NH business want all the revenue day boaters and vacationers spend, but you turn your nose up at us like you bought the lake with your house. Sorry you didn't and you wouldn't have most of the amenities you have today if it were not for the day boaters and vacationers.

And the same goes for snowmobiling. The revenue generated for NH by these two activities is quite substantial and helps the residents enjoy much better amenities than they would ever have if not for the money coming from out of state.

Or maybe you would prefer all the taxes you pay in Massachusetts only to have places like Harold Parker where you cannot boat OR own land on the water. Well that would certainly resolve your anchoring and sleeping on the lake problem!

And again, we are way off topic on this thread. Sorry rant over, just had to get it out of my system. Let the daggers fly. I've said enough on this one,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote