View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 05:02 PM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Red face

You'll want to check out The Gunstock Parish - A History of Gilford, NH - 1995 by Adair Mulligan originally recommended to me right here on this forum. This extremely well-done book is ful of photos. There is a chapter about the Gilford islands in general ...with pp. 264-268 devoted to Welch Island. Apparently the Luce family was quite prominent on the island but I see no mention of a Hilda. In part it reads as follows (p. 266),

"Among the early visitors to Welch Island were Richard and Lucy Luce, relatives of the White family who had completed their camp in 1908. The Luces moved into their new summer home on the northern point in 1914, and within four years had acquired thirty acres at "North Ledge." The Luce estate is perhaps Welch Island's answer to the Adironadack Great Camps then being built in northern New York State..........."

I highly recommend this book if you ever run across it. It may be available at the Gilford Public Library. It is also available through the Thompson-Ames Histocial Society.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote